July 22, 2023, 4:15 pm IST
- William Goodge traveled 3,175 miles across the United States in 55 days.
- He ate 6,000 to 7,000 calories a day to fuel his 110,000 steps a day.
British ultra runner William Goodge raced in the United States, from Los Angeles to New York, in 55 days this spring, hitting the road between 50 and 70 miles a day.
Goodge, who set off on April 2, broke his run into six-mile chunks, which lasted between 60 and 90 minutes depending on the terrain, gradient, wind and his energy levels. After each piece, he walked for 10 minutes a eat something and to check in with his team, and in the afternoon he would have an hour break to take a nap.
Goodge told Insider that he aimed to eat 6,000 to 7,000 calories a day to fuel the 110,000 daily steps he took on average, but this was difficult as he didn’t want to feel too heavy to run.
She shared an example of a day she ate during her challenge with Insider.
Goodge followed a high carbohydrate diet
Goodge had a chef on his team who prepared each of his meals and snacks.
During the run, Goodge sipped 2,500 calories of a high-carb, electrolyte drinkwhich provided a constant flow of energy.
For breakfast, dinner, and during his 10-minute layovers, he ate mostly whole foods who kept his stable energy levels and they were easier to digest than processed foods. However, he also enjoyed pastries and chips.
- Breakfast: cereal and coffee
- Stop 1: Protein shake and pastry or donut
- Stop 2: Breakfast sandwich like bacon, egg and avocado bagel and a handful of nuts
- Stop 3: Vegan chili and fruit, can of Coca-Cola
- Stop 4: Tuna, Veggies, and Hummus Wrap
- Stop 5: Sandwich, Chips, Veggies, Muffins
- Dinner: Cooked meal such as pasta or pizza
Goodge’s protein shake recipe
Goodge is daily smoothie it was designed to be high in calories to give it energy, providing around 1,200.
It was made by:
- Protein powder
- Frozen berries
- Nut butter